
This is my first posting for this blog titled Hinduism Unlimited.
I first thought of naming it ‘My Hinduism’.
But I think Hinduism Unlimited also means the same thing.
‘I’ too am unlimited.
I always felt large, like the ocean and the sky. I walk with Walt Whitman in that sense.
Of course friends brought me down to earth, but I more or less swim in the wide blue skies.
When somebody asked me how old I was (I would rather be asked how young I am), I replied that I am thousands of years old.
I was not trying to be funny or plain impertinent.
I spoke only what I felt.
And I feel the centuries and millennia spinning in my being.
What does all this have to do with Hinduism?
Well, Hinduism is my road map to Unlimitedness.
Hindu sages and savants keep telling us that Sanatana, meaning Eternal, is the actual name of this religion.
And of course we are told times without number, that this is a way of life rather than a mere religion, doctrine or dogma ( a ‘matham’ meaning opinion).
But Hinduism, this hold-all of a hundred thousand ways of transcendence is a beleaguered religion today.
Hinduism may be a way of life for some, but besmirching Hinduism has become a way of life to many others.
And that includes governments, and sadly, our governments. And sadder still, many Hindus as well.
Macaulay’s minutes, which spoke of an English education that would turn Indians against themselves, seem to be extending to eternity.
Just as there are a million ways to live Hinduism, there are manifold ways to malign it.
As a renaissance man standing at the crossroads of a hoary spiritual past and a western and materialistic present, I would like to interpret to myself the genius of my forefathers, sifting out the pith and kernel of their meaning.
I invite all friends to Hinduism’s highpoints…to its celestial fragrances….and to the poignant turns it faced in the past and is facing at present.
No comments:
Post a Comment